Imagine, that in the frigid morning of winter, a steaming bowl of ramen, deep and rich in flavor is presented in front of you: you know quite easily how that can uplift any mood, tantalize taste buds and warm frozen souls.
In the world of ramen, there is vastness and diversification, with countless regional variations and innovative twists on the dish.
If you ever wondered on the possibility of enhancing ramen even further, then we present to you the latest hack in the house: Kewpie Mayo in Ramen.
There’s a lot to say about this highly favorable trick, but let the headlines below do Justice to that.
Is Kewpie Mayo Good In Ramen?
Yes, Kewpie mayo is a delightful addition to ramen (whatever brand you’re using), because it helps to add an extra layer of flavor as well as give texture to the dish.
Remember that Kewpie mayo has a smooth, velvety consistency from the special emulsification techniques as well as the use of only egg yolks?
Well that can quickly elevate the mouthfeel of ramen broth. When swirled into the soup, it adds creaminess that does well to complement the savory flavors of the ramen seasonings as well as garnishings.
Kewpie Mayo also makes ramen taste better because of its Umami content.
The mayo is made with rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar and (probably a combination of both or even more other types of vinegar) and then it also has the umami-rich monosodium glutamate (MSG) both of which help to enhance the umami flavor in ramen, making the dish even more satisfying and flavorful.
Kewpie Mayo Ramen Recipe
Enough discussion on the fascinating twist that kewpie Mayo can bring to a bowl of ramen.
Let’s get into the exact recipe for making this a reality.
- 1 ramen (plus noodle seasoning) of choice
- 1 egg yolk ( you can add the white if you like)
- 1 tablespoon of Kewpie Mayo
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Add 1 packet of noodle seasoning, yolk Kewpie Mayo and garlic into a bowl and mix until the yolk fully coats everything.
- Bring water to a boil and cook the noodles (as per manufacturer’s instructions).
- Pour half of the ramen water into the mixture and mix well to deliver slight cooking of the yolks.
- Now pour the rest of the ramen water together with the cooked ramen into the bowl and mix well.
- Top with scallions, soft boiled eggs, or your favourite garnishing like and serve.
What Kind Of Instant Noodle Should You Use?
For the Kewpie Mayo Ramen Hack, it’s best to use instant noodles with a mild or neutral soup base — not those with a lot going on in the pack for example extra oils and fish or meat chunks which would require long cooking in order to tenderize the meat.
Going this route will also allow the flavors of the yolk as well as Kewpie mayo to shine through without being overpowered by strong seasoning.
With that said, feel free to go for whatever noodle brand you like because there isn’t a specific one that “only” works.
Some good options for instant noodles include:
- Plain ramen noodles without any included seasoning, which allows you to control the flavor and create your desired broth.
- Shoyu (soy sauce) flavored ramen which has a lighter broth with a subtle soy sauce flavor, perfect for complementing Kewpie mayo plus egg yolk.
- Miso flavored ramen which has a slightly stronger flavor than shoyu, but can still work well with yolks and Kewpie mayo.
Kewpie Mayo Ramen No Egg
If the prospect of adding raw yolks to your bowl of ramen doesn’t excite you, or rather disgust you, then you can turn to the idea of ditching it.
Simply prepare the mixture as it is and ditch the yolks, the Mayo already has enough of them which will do just enough to cover the flavor hole created by the absence of the yolks.
Or, you could opt for sterilized yolks if salmonella and other egg borne bacteria are the reason you’re not so into raw yolks and not taste.
Can You Use Regular Mayo For Ramen?
Yes, you can use regular mayo for the ramen hack if Kewpie mayo isn’t available.
Regular mayo will still add a creamy texture to the broth and even contribute sweetness.
However, the taste may differ slightly from Kewpie mayo, as the latter has a distinct creaminess and umami flavor that plays a critical role in uplifting the flavor of the ramen, all thanks to the way that it is made.
When using regular mayo for ramen, it might be helpful to make some adjustments in order to achieve a similar flavor to Kewpie mayo.
For instance, you could add a splash of rice vinegar or another mild vinegar like cider vinegar to the mayo to mimic the sweetness and tanginess found in Kewpie mayo.
Where Else Can I Put Kewpie Mayo?
Because Kewpie mayo is versatile, you can use it in a variety of dishes from sandwiches, salad dressings to cakes and brownies.
There are just so many possibilities with your well preserved Kewpie Mayo, that it is impossible to completely outline. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different culinary applications.