Buffalo sauce is a classic dipping sauce for chicken wings, but it can also be used as a condiment on other foods like pizza and pasta.
Traditional buffalo sauce is made with franks hot sauce, butter, and vinegar, but this recipe uses Sriracha instead of hot sauce.
In this article, we will show you how to make buffalo sauce with Sriracha. The recipe is simple and easy to follow, and the results are delicious.
Can You Make Buffalo Sauce With Sriracha?
Yes, you can make buffalo sauce with sriracha instead of franks red hot and it will taste amazing.
Adding sriracha to the buffalo sauce in place of franks hot sauce will help enhance the flavor and heat of the sauce.
Buffalo Sauce With Sriracha Ingredients And Their Roles
The ingredients and their roles for making buffalo sauce with sriracha are:
- Hot sauce: The main source of heat and flavor for the sauce. You can use any hot sauce you like, such as Frank’s Red Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce, but for this recipe, we’re sticking with sriracha to add more spiciness, tanginess, garlic flavor, and sweetness to the sauce. You can adjust the amount of sriracha to your preference.
- Butter: The main fat and emulsifier for the sauce. It adds richness and smoothness to the sauce. You can use unsalted or salted butter, depending on your taste.
- Vinegar: The main acidifier and preservative for the sauce. It adds tartness and brightness to the sauce. You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, depending on your taste.
- Garlic: The main flavoring agent and aroma enhancer for the sauce. It adds a pungent and savory note to the sauce. You can use fresh garlic, garlic powder, or chili garlic sauce, depending on your availability.
- Worcestershire sauce: The main umami and complexity enhancer for the sauce. It adds a savory and fermented flavor to the sauce. You can use Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce, depending on your availability.
- • 2 cloves of garlic (paste)
- • 1 cup Sriracha Sauce
- • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 110g of Unsalted butter
- Put a small saucepan over high heat and add sriracha, garlic, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until combined and bring to a simmer.
- Then cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add butter and whisk until combined. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Transfer the sauce to a bowl or a jar and enjoy with your favorite foods.
Is Sriracha A Substitute For Buffalo Sauce?
Sriracha isn’t exactly a clean substitute for buffalo sauce, even though they both are sauces.
But don’t get it wrong, you can actually use sriracha in place of buffalo sauce for so many applications like dipping sauce and for coating of wings, etc., but just be prepared for a different level of flavor and heat.
Sriracha is thicker and spicier than buffalo sauce. Sriracha sauce ranges between 1,000 and 2,500 SHU on the Scoville scale compared to buffalo sauce’s 450 SHUs, so if you don’t really like heat that much, you want to steer clear of this substitution.
Sriracha also has more garlic and sugar than buffalo sauce, which gives it a sweeter and more pungent taste. Buffalo sauce has more butter and vinegar than sriracha, which gives it a creamier and tangier taste.
If you want to use sriracha as a substitute for buffalo sauce, you may want to adjust the amount and add some other ingredients to balance the flavor and texture.
For example, you can add some melted butter to sriracha to make it smoother and richer. You can also reduce the amount of sriracha or add some honey or sugar to sriracha to make it less spicy and sweeter.