I could bet, how you found yourself in this situation right now is because you reached for the iconic bottle of Heinz 57 sauce, caught a glimpse of the magic number, paused mid-pour, and began pondering just exactly what that number is all about?
If anything, you certainly aren’t the first to be left wondering! Many people before you have been baffled by this labelling mystery for years.
Is it a secret recipe featuring 57 ingredients? Perhaps an enigmatic formula devised in the year 1857?
Satisfy your curiosity as we explain everything you ever wanted to know about the Heinz 57 phenomenon!
Why Is It Called Heinz 57?
Many people wonder about the origin of the famous Heinz 57 slogan, as it has always managed to pique curiosity and leave an impression.
Interestingly, the number 57 isn’t actually an accurate count of Heinz products or varieties – in fact, there are currently more than a hundred different Heinz products available today, and before the birth of the popular slogan, there were certainly more than 57!
In the early 1890s, H.J. Heinz was already marketing up to 60 products, including bottled pickles, horseradish and pepper sauce.
The story behind the iconic number began in 1896 when H.J. Heinz was visiting New York City.
While riding on an elevated train, he saw an advertisement for a shoe store boasting “21 styles”. Intrigued by how this simple but catchy approach grabbed his attention, he decided to use a similar marketing strategy for his own brand.
He ultimately choose the number 57 – “5” because it was his lucky number and “7” because it was his wife’s lucky number according to one source.
However, Heinz himself declared at one point that the number “7” has an enduring influence (physiologically) on people, and had so much significance among people of all ages — perfect for a catchline.
Regardless of its origins, combining his surname with such a memorable number (and the term varieties) proved successful in signaling both experience and diversity in products – two qualities Americans greatly value.
And so began the era of promoting their products under the new “57 varieties” slogan – with prepared horseradish being one of the first items showcased under this iconic branding that still captures consumers’ attention today.
Are There 57 Ingredients In Heinz 57?
No Heinz 57 sauce doesn’t contain 57 ingredients. The origin of the name is rooted in a clever marketing campaign rather than an extensive recipe list, as we have discussed above.
The iconic sauce is actually made from a blend of simpler ingredients such as tomatoes, distilled vinegar, corn syrup salt, raisin concentrate, crushed orange puree, spices and other flavorings, but all in all, would not total up to 57.
Heinz 57 Varieties List
The following is a list of Heinz 57 varieties for the US market.
- 100% Natural Honey Mustard With Real Honey
- 100% Natural Spicy Brown Mustard
- 100% Natural Yellow Mustard
- 57 Sauce
- 57 Sauce With Honey
- Apple Cider Vinegar With 5% Acidity
- Bistro Au Jus Gravy
- Buffaranch Buffalo & Ranch Sauce
- Carolina Mustard Style Sweet Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Carolina Vinegar Style Sweet & Tangy BBQ Sauce
- Chili Sauce
- Classic Chicken Gravy
- Country-Style Sausage Gravy
- Culinary Crunch Chili Pepper Crunch Sauce
- Culinary Crunch Mandarin Orange Miso Crunch Sauce
- Culinary Crunch Roasted Garlic Crunch Sauce
- Dill Relish
- Dip & Crunch Secret Sauce & Potato Crunchers
- Dip & Crunch Spicy Sauce & Potato Crunchers
- Distilled White Vinegar With 5% Acidity
- Hamburger Dill Pickle Chips
- Honey racha Honey & Sriracha Sauce
- Hot 57 Sauce
- Hot Dog Relish
- Imported Balsamic Vinegar Of Modena
- India Relish
- Infused Honey With Black Truffle
- Infused Honey With Hot Chili
- Kansas City Style Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce
- Kranch Ketchup & Ranch Sauce
- Malt Vinegar
- Mayochup Mayonnaise & Ketchup Sauce
- Mayomust Mayonnaise & Mustard Sauce
- Mayoracha Mayonnaise & Sriracha Sauce
- Mushroom Gravy
- Organic Tomato Ketchup
- Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar With The Mother
- Organic Yellow Mustard
- Original Cocktail Sauce
- Original Multi-Purpose Extra Strength Vinegar With 6% Acidity
- Original Sweet & Thick BBQ Sauce
- Pork Gravy
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Roasted Turkey Gravy
- Salad Vinegar
- Savory Beef Gravy
- Simply Tomato Ketchup With No Artificial Sweeteners
- Spicy Garlic Pickle Chips With Garlic & Red Peppers
- Sweet & Spicy Pickle Chips With Crushed Red Pepper
- Sweet Gherkins Mini Pickles
- Sweet Ketchili Ketchup & Chili Sauce
- Sweet Relish
- Tarragon Naturally Flavored Vinegar
- Texas Style Bold & Spicy BBQ Sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- Tomato Ketchup Blended With Chipotle
- Tomato Ketchup Blended With Habanero
- Tomato Ketchup Blended With Jalapeño
- Tomato Ketchup Sweetened Only With Honey
- Tomato Ketchup With A Blend Of Veggies
- Tomato Ketchup With No Salt Added
- Tomato Ketchup With No Sugar Added
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Zesty Cocktail Sauce