Kroger Sriracha is Kroger’s own twist on the classic sriracha sauce, exclusively available at their grocery stores.
In the following article, we’re setting out on a tasty quest to evaluate Kroger Sriracha.
Is it a flavor-packed win, or will it leave your taste buds wanting more?
Is it worth both your time and your wallet’s attention?
To get to the bottom of this, we’ll be diving into a detailed discussion about the sauce, focusing on its flavor, how spicy it gets, and its overall quality.
And what’s our source for all this saucy insight? None other than the thoughts and opinions of those who’ve given it a try.
What Is Kroger Sriracha And Where Is It Made?
Kroger Sriracha Sauce is a spicy, tangy and slightly sweet chili sauce that comes from Vietnam.
It’s part of the Kroger brand and features chili peppers as its main ingredient, giving it that signature kick.
This sauce is perfect for adding some extra flavor to all sorts of dishes, and since it’s under the Kroger name, you can usually find it at Kroger grocery stores.
What Are The Ingredients In Kroger Sriracha Sauce?
Kroger Sriracha Sauce is a delightful blend of the following ingredients that each play a specific role in crafting its unique flavor:
- Chili Peppers: These are the heart of the sauce that help to give it its characteristic spicy kick.
- Garlic: A cooking favorite, garlic adds a robust and aromatic depth to the sauce, complementing the heat of the chili peppers.
- Sugar: Sugar balances the heat and tanginess, adding a hint of sweetness that rounds out the flavor.
- Salt: Essential in almost every dish, salt enhances the overall flavor profile and helps bring out the individual tastes of the other ingredients.
- Vinegar: This adds tanginess and zest to the sauce, providing a sharp contrast to the sweetness and heat, and contributing to the sauce’s unique taste.
- Potassium Sorbate: As a preservative, potassium sorbate ensures the sauce maintains its quality over time.
- Sodium Metabisulfite: Another preservative, sodium metabisulfite helps to extend the shelf life of the sauce, keeping it fresh and tasty.
What Does Kroger Sriracha Taste Like Compared To Original Sriracha?
Kroger Sriracha takes a slightly different approach to the traditional sriracha flavor.
While both have the underlying blend of chili, garlic, and tangy notes, there are distinct differences in taste when you compare Kroger’s version to the original Huy Fong Sriracha.
Kroger Sriracha is notably sweeter, which can be a delight for those who prefer a milder, more sugary touch. This contrasts sharply with Huy Fong’s less sweet, more authentic sriracha flavor.
If you’re after a spicy kick, you’ll find Kroger Sriracha milder and less fiery than Huy Fong. The original Huy Fong Sriracha brings more heat to the table, offering that traditional sriracha spiciness that can make your mouth move a little.
In summary, while both have their place and appeal, Kroger’s version is more suited for those who prefer a sweeter and milder taste, whereas Huy Fong sticks to the classic, more robust sriracha profile.
Your preference might hinge on whether you’re in the mood for something spicy and traditional or a more subdued and sweet experience.
Kroger Sriracha Scoville
Kroger Sriracha’s Scoville rating, falling between 1,000 to 2,000 SHU, sets it on the lower end of the spice spectrum, especially when compared to some other hot sauces out there.
This low-medium level of spiciness means that it’s approachable for a wide audience.
So basically, Kroger Sriracha offers a pleasant spiciness that’s enough to notice but not so much that it’ll take over the entire flavor experience.
It’s a balanced and welcoming choice for those who want to enjoy the characteristic bite of chili without the intense burn.
What Is Kroger Sriracha Sauce Good For?
Here’s a quick summary of the five great ways you can put Kroger Sriracha to good use:
- Mix it with mayonnaise or ketchup to create a tangy and spicy dip which is perfect for chicken nuggets, spring rolls or french fries.
- Whisk it with yogurt, sour cream, or cream cheese to make a delightful dressing for salads, sandwiches, or wraps. Feel free to add herbs, garlic, or cheese to mix things up a bit.
- You can use Kroger Sriracha to marinate meat, seafood, or tofu. Combine it with honey, soy sauce, or lime juice and let it marinate in the fridge for a tasty twist to your proteins.
- Combine Kroger Sriracha with some water, cornstarch, and sugar to make a flavorful stir-fry sauce. Great for noodles, rice, or vegetables, and you can throw in some peanuts, sesame seeds, or scallions for an extra crunch.
- Spice up your pizza, burgers, or hot dogs by spreading some Kroger Sriracha on them before baking or grilling. It’ll add a cheesy and spicy kick that could take your dish to the next level.
Kroger Sriracha Nutrition
Below is the nutritional profile of Kroger Sriracha in a table:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
- Serving size: 1 tsp (5g)
- Percentage Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How Much Does Kroger Sriracha Cost? And Is It Cost Effective?
The price for one 17 oz bottle of Kroger Sriracha is $3.19, making it about $0.18 per ounce.
And with the current price of two packs of the 17 oz bottles of Huy Fong at $114, it means that strictly speaking, Kroger Sriracha is way more cost-effective than Huy Fong.
But when it comes to cost-effectiveness, taste plays a huge part in the equation.
If you don’t enjoy the flavor of Kroger’s brand (like myself) and would prefer other brands (i like Dynasty, Roland or Tabasco better), then it might not be the most cost-effective option for you personally.
In other words, if you’re after the bang for your buck and you like the taste of Kroger Sriracha, it seems like a solid choice.
But if taste is a big factor, and you don’t like Kroger’s version, paying a bit more for a brand that you enjoy might be the more satisfying and, therefore, more cost-effective route for you.