Everyone knows Sriracha: the tasty hot sauce we all love, of course!
But have you ever heard of green Sriracha?
Yep, it’s a thing!
In this piece, we’re going to dive into what green Sriracha is all about and discover how it’s whipped up. And, of course, we’ll take a look at some cool ways to use it.
What Is Green Sriracha Made Of?
Green sriracha is a variation of the popular Thai chili sauce that uses green peppers instead of red ones, as well as tomatillo to achieve the green colors. Because most green chilies are not fully ripened fruits, sauces made with them typically have a slightly less spicy flavor.
The common ingredients for green sriracha are:
- Green chili peppers (like jalapeño, serrano, Anaheim, or other hot peppers): These guys are the star of the show, giving the sauce its signature green hue. Since they’re typically not fully ripened, they make the sauce a touch less spicy than the red version. Still got a kick, though!
- Garlic: Ah, garlic. What’s not to love? It adds that deep, savory punch that makes your taste buds dance.
- Brown sugar: This adds a hint of sweetness to balance out the heat. Kind of like the chill friend who keeps everything in check.
- Salt: The universal flavor enhancer. It’s like the conductor of this tasty symphony, helping all the flavors play well together.
- Vinegar (choices include apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, or rice vinegar): This adds the tang that makes you go “mmm” and keeps you coming back for more.
- Water: Keeps things flowing and blends all those flavors together.
- Tomatillo: Not always in the mix, but when it’s there (like in Sky Valley’s Green Sriracha), it adds a tangy, fresh twist as well as contributing to the greening.
So, all these ingredients come together to form a saucy masterpiece that’s a bit different from the usual red Sriracha. Brands like Flying Goose, Sky Valley, and Nature’s Greatest Foods are all in on this green action.
What Does Green Sriracha Taste Like?
Oh, you’re curious about what green Sriracha tastes like? Buckle up, because it’s quite the ride!
First off, let’s get one thing straight: if you’re expecting green Sriracha to be like its red cousin, think again. It’s like comparing red apples to, well, green apples – related, but definitely different.
Here’s the scoop:
Base Flavor: Those green peppers make for a more blunt and earthy base. They don’t have those sweet fruity notes that red hot chili peppers bring to the table.
The Spice Factor: Green Sriracha is the milder sibling in the Sriracha family. It’s still got a kick, but it’s like a playful nudge rather than a karate chop.
Depending on the recipe or the brand, green Sriracha’s flavor can swing in different directions. Garlic, vinegar, and sometimes tomatillo all pitch in to create a taste sensation that’s versatile and unique.
Is Green Sriracha Spicy?
First off, green Sriracha does have a kick, but it’s like a friendly tap on the shoulder compared to the red Sriracha’s full-on high five. It’s spicy, sure, but not “call the fire department” spicy.
On the Scoville scale which measures how hot a pepper is, green peppers are chillin’ between 1000 to 1500 SHU. If that sounds like a bunch of numbers, just know that it means they’re low to mildly hot. Think of it as a gentle warmth rather than a scorching heat.
Why the difference? It’s all about the peppers, baby! Green Sriracha uses green peppers instead of the red ones. Since green peppers are typically not fully ripened, they’re not as hot.
But wait, there’s more! You might find a brand of green Sriracha that hits as hard as the red stuff. How’s that possible? Well, they might be spicing things up with other ingredients.
What Is Green Sriracha Good On?
Green Sriracha is a versatile buddy that’ll bring life to many dishes. Check out some of the wild ways you can use it:
1. Green Sriracha Hummus: Imagine your classic hummus, but with a green Sriracha kick. Just blend it with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt, and you’ve got a dip that’ll make your veggies, pita bread, or crackers sing!
2. Green Sriracha Chicken Wings: Oh yeah, chicken wings slathered in green Sriracha sauce mixed with honey, butter, and vinegar. Bake ’em until crispy and caramelized, and you’ve got a wing night that’ll make your taste buds do a happy dance.
3. Green Sriracha Fried Rice: Your classic fried rice just got a green makeover! Toss it with eggs, ham, peas, carrots, soy sauce, and green Sriracha, and you’ve got a quick meal that’s out-of-this-world good. Top with scallions and sesame seeds, and you’re in flavor heaven.
4. Green Sriracha Macaroni and Cheese: Talk about comfort food with a twist! Mix green Sriracha into your cheese sauce, pour it over macaroni, top with breadcrumbs, and bake. The result? A gooey, spicy delight that’s sure to be a hit.
5. Green Sriracha Popcorn: Popcorn’s great, but green Sriracha popcorn? That’s next-level snacking. Drizzle it over freshly popped kernels, toss with butter, salt, and nutritional yeast, and you’ve got a snack that’ll steal the show during movie night.
What Is The Nutrition Of Green Sriracha?
When it comes to the nutrition of green Sriracha, things might differ a bit based on the brand or the recipe you’re looking at. But, generally speaking, it’s a low-calorie friend in your condiment lineup, mostly made up of carbs, with a sprinkle of vitamins and minerals tossed in.
Here is an example of the nutritional content of green sriracha sauce from Sky Valley:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value*|
|Includes <1g Added Sugars||0%|